It is official. My babies are no longer babies, because they are both officially in school. Our routine has now changed. And although I am happy to be back into a routine, I'm sad knowing that our days are no longer ours to do what we want. Both Jackson and Morgan were ready for school to start... counting down the days, as a matter of fact. Starting with their open houses last week, every day they would check the calendar to see how long they had to wait until they could go to school. So thankful that they love it and want to learn and play and make friends. I hope they continue this excitement for the rest of their lives.
 |
Our posed picture... they had no place to be walking to.
But I love that they were holding hands! |
Jackson is starting 4K (four year old Kindergarten) at Summit Elementary. He is in Mrs. Seraphine's afternoon class which starts at 1:00 PM and gets out at 3:40 PM. Morgan is going to Sunshine School at the Y. This is a preschool/4K prep school that they offer - she attends on Tuesdays and Thursdays from noon until 2:15 PM. Morgan's teachers are Ms. Sara and Ms. Kerry.
Yesterday was somewhat awkward. It felt like a big rush to get up with excitement and then the anxious anticipation until it was time for school in the afternoon. Thankfully, Tom was able to work from home to help me keep my sanity and my composure. I was a nervous wreck inside, but kept it together for the kids.
 |
So thankful for their friendship and love for each other!
My sweet children! |
In the morning before things got too crazy, we went outside to take a few "First Day of School" pictures. It was a sunny and hot day, so the kids were having a hard time smiling without lots of squinting and complaining. So it goes!
 |
| Morgan doing a little reading on her way to school. |
 |
| Jackson tagging along for the ride to his "old school". |
We then ate an early lunch and it was time to head to the Y to drop off Morgan. Talk about an excited girl. She was all smiles and nearly ran down the hallway in anticipation for school. She knew right where to go! She got to the table outside the room and starting writing her name on her name tag... she's done this drill before. The amazing thing to me... she is 3 1/2 and is writing her name wonderfully. Jackson wouldn't even try for me last year at this time. I really give credit to Jackson for her learning though... she looks up to him so much and wanted to do what he did. Thus she learned to write her name last year while he was learning his. Then the teachers opened the doors and the kids did their thing - hung up backpacks and sat down to write their names in their name books. Morgan did great! She's got this down!
 |
| Holding Daddy's hand as she heads for the school (the Y). |
 |
| A quick (blurry) picture outside of school. |
 |
She's ready and running for her class! Yes, the backpack
is a bit big, but she loves it! |
 |
| I think she is excited! |
 |
| Getting some sillies out before going into class. |
 |
| Hard at work. |
 |
| Great job Morgan!! |

We then quickly headed home so that we could be there in time for Jackson's bus to pick him up. Now this is a bit scary for me is - that he is also riding the school bus... no seat belts, lots of kids, lots of distractions for a bus driver. He was so excited for the bus part though - although, I think he was a bit nervous too. He got to see a bus at the open house and the first thing he noticed was that there were no seat belts. And he continued to mention the seat belts all week saying, "I'll be sure to stay seated because their are no belts, Momma. I want to be safe." Getting on the bus was no problem. He climbed up, introduced himself to the driver, sat right down. He didn't even give me a chance to take a picture of him on the bus. There was an assistant on the bus that told him to let me take a picture, so then he got up and posed for me. Silly boy! Tom was beside me and told him to have a great day, and that was when I started to tear up...I had done good until then. I wanted to tell him the same and the words wouldn't come out. I was sending my little boy off and I couldn't even say good-bye! Wow! But I pulled it together and only a few tears fell while we waved to him (although he sat down on the other side of the bus and never even saw us). He was off to learn!
 |
| Waiting in the shade of the van door while waiting for the bus. It was hot out! |
 |
| Can you tell what is in the back end of the van? |
 |
| Watching for the bus... don't know which way it will come from. |
 |
| And he spots it! I think he was excited! |
 |
| One quick picture with me before getting on the bus. |
To keep my mind off the kids, Tom suggested that we go to the driving range. I haven't even picked up my clubs in two years, so my expectations were low. But dang, I did good for not swinging in that time. Makes me really want to start playing again. Each Tuesday and Thursday, I'll have from 12:45 to 2:15 to do my own thing, so I may be returning to the driving range again before the weather turns yucky.
We then headed back to the Y around 2:00 to pick up Morgan. She was a happy girl - such a relief. I wasn't
too worried, but you just never know. Besides, a mom always worries. We came home, she had a snack and played before we headed out to pick up Jackson from the bus.
 |
| Showing us her letter board - they are working on the letter B this week. |


The day went off without a hitch, until Jackson was getting home off the bus - that was a bit of a fiasco. The bus company had told me that they would pick up and drop off in front of our house for him since he was 4K - I didn't even request this. But as we waited outside for the bus, some of the moms down the street waived me down and texted me saying the bus stop was down by them and that I needed to be there. So I walked down to talk to them and tell them the scoop on drop off. Tom stayed back to get him off. They stopped at our house, and Tom talked to the driver telling Jackson and the driver to drop him off down the street where I was. Which wasn't what I really wanted. Then when the bus got to me (just 4 houses down), Jackson didn't get off and the driver almost drove away. It was chaos. I had to get on the bus (with thousands of eyes looking at me) and pick out Jackson crammed in a seat with two other boys and tell him to get off the bus. Then Jackson and Morgan ran off while I asked the driver where he was going to drop off... the driver was non-committal and wouldn't give me an answer. I got off with no idea what was happening and feeling like an idiot with my kids not by my side (I was a little panicked). And I could just imagine what the other moms were thinking. So all night I deliberated on where he should be dropped off and today I made my decision. Today I waited in our driveway for him to be dropped off. My reason - that is what they told me, that is what their website said when I logged into our account, and when winter comes, I don't want to bundle Morgan up to walk down the street to get him. Not sure if those are good reason, but that was my decision.
Jackson was officially gone from 12:45 to 4:00. A long afternoon for that boy! He had lots of stories about playing on the playground, using the bathroom, drinking from the bubbler (the weird Wisconsin word for a water fountain that really confused him), singing songs, coloring pictures, and making new friends (although he forgets all their names).
 |
| He was tired and hot, but ready to play more! |
All in all, a very successful first day!! So proud of my little kiddos!!
No comments:
Post a Comment