![]() |
| January 1982 - Jeff, Lisa, Grandpa Paul, and me |
Twenty-five years. October 7, 1986.
That was the day my Grandpa Paul passed away and went to heaven after a long
battle with cancer. Even though I was only six years old, I can still remember
it so clearly. It was my first real encounter with death and mourning. I remember my Dad, brother, and sister coming to my first grade
class room and asking my teacher if they could talk to me. They told me the
news and that I needed to ask my teacher if I could go home. I broke down in
tears before I could even get the words out to Mrs. Simpson. She held me and
told me to go home... that she would be thinking about me and my family. I
remember going to JC Penney in Sioux City to get a new dress for the funeral.
And I freaked out when they announced that the store would be closing in 15
minutes. I was in the dressing room with Mom and all I wanted to do was leave.
I thought that we were going to get locked in...I'm guessing I was just upset
about everything. But Jeff and Lisa never let me forget that I flipped out in
JC Penney. And I remember the funeral and seeing my wonderful, loving Grandpa
Paul for the last time. Why are good-byes so hard?
![]() |
| Christmas 1982 |
This summer while I was home in
Nebraska, my Grandpa Paul's brother Mark passed away. My cousin Rhonda
whispered in my ear before Uncle Mark's funeral, "They were so lucky to have
their grandpa for so long." She was referring to Mark's four
grandchildren. I immediately teared up. All I could think was she was right and
that she was also lucky to have had so much time with our grandpa. Rhonda is
eight years older than me...that was eight more years she had to get to know
him. I was #17 in twenty grandchildren, so most of my cousins knew Grandpa so
much more than me. It is a hard thing to think about, but I love to hear the
stories of him and to reminisce about the things I do remember... Like getting
jellybeans handed to me from the pew behind us in of church (which I don't
think Mom liked, but what could she say, it was her dad). I remember riding
next to him on the armrest of his car the few blocks from church to his house
- at only 3 or 4 years old - no seat belt or anything. I remember going with Mom
and him to some of his doctor appointments in Sioux City while he was sick -
and not knowing that this was really a serious thing, just thinking that I got
to go on a little adventure with him. And I remember the wonderful weekends we
spent at his house - all the grandkids playing pool in the basement or rolling
down the big hill in his backyard. I love and cherish the memories!
He was a wonderful man! I love and miss you Grandpa Paul!
![]() |
| Boating on the Missouri River - I think this was around the summer of 1983 |



1 comment:
Ahhh... This makes me tear up. Thanks for the wonderful post! You definitely have a lot of grandpa Paul in you... He was a beautiful soul!
Post a Comment