Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Nebraska Thanksgiving

I'm only a couple short hours away from the end of November and I'm determined to post about our Thanksgiving before the start of a new month.  If you are wondering, I did get all of my decorating done today.  I guess there are a couple of exceptions to that claim though... I would like to get some garland to hang down our stairway and Tom still needs to work on some outdoor lights.  All in all - a good day's work.

Now on to what I really what to post - Thanksgiving. 

We had a great time in Nebraska!  Amazing how quickly a week can go though.  We made it to Mom & Dad's after a stressful drive on icy roads the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving.  We were really lucky on the drive since a car in front of us (by about 5 feet) spun out and took to the ditch, and then a box truck behind us nearly wrecked.  Not fun, but we made it safely and that was the only weather we contended the whole time we were back. 

That Saturday night, we celebrated Tom's birthday (again).  Mom made him a cake and he got to open his gift from them - a new smoker.  Can't wait for him to get some ribs cooking on it!


Then Sunday we celebrated my Dad and our nephew Jacob's birthdays - yes, both are on November 20.  We had a really nice day at my sister's house - enjoyed yummy homemade soups, snacks, and of course more cake.

Morgan helping Grandpa open gifts.
Birthday Boys - Dad and Jacob
Can always count on Uncle Mike to bring the goodies!
Just a little static electricity!
Monday was a low key day around the house.  Grandpa was anxious to show the kids his new toy... a bright orange tractor.  So my Dad and the kids (and Tom too) headed outside to have a few rides on the new tractor.  Lots of fun!







Tuesday, my Mom and I had a girls day and headed to Sioux City to do some shopping.  It was great day accomplishing quite a bit on my list and just enjoy the time with my Mom.  I was wondering what the guys would do to entertain the kids while we were gone...Come to find out they didn't stay home.  Grandpa spoiled them with a movie - the kids' second one in a theater and their first 3D one.  They saw Happy Feet 2...guess it was okay, but not a huge hit.  I know they had a great time though - the kids are still mentioning the movie and the glasses.  That night my brother flew in, so the guys picked him up while mom and I stayed home with the kids.

Wednesday was a quite day at the house just getting some things ready for Thanksgiving.  The guys needed an excuse to use the tractor again, so they went out to work on taking out a retaining wall behind the house.  Dad plans to put in a new one come spring, but wanted to start getting some of it removed now. 
We're not sure what got him started on this, but one minute his
 shirt was off and the next minute he was covered in Thomas stickers!
A fun afternoon - board games (Ticket to Ride) and margaritas!
Guys working on the retaining wall.
Turkey Day!  We headed to Omaha to enjoy Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's house.  We had a great day enjoying amazing food and playing games.  But was even better was that I was with family!  Sadly my sister and her family couldn't be there, but I did get to see one of my cousins that I hadn't seen in a few years.  And it was also the first time in seven years that I had been home for Thanksgiving - I was so happy to be there.
Cousin Meg reading to the kids.
Teaching Morgan about our Thanksgiving board game tradition.
A little Balderdash fun! We also played Cranium but no pictures from that. 
Tom and I continued our reign as Cranium champs!
Me with my brother Jeff and cousins Megan and Billie
Mom, Dad, Aunt Dianne, and Uncle Greg
Food comma and lots of playing - one tired boy that was ready to sleep in the car.
Uncle Jeff and Morgan being silly!
Friday everyone was at Mom and Dad's - I love when my brother, sister, brother-in-law, nephews, and us all take over the house!  Talk about chaos, but it is awesome.  We had yet another round of tractor rides - this time, Lisa, Nolan, Garret, and I all took turns learning to drive it.  I will admit, I was totally scared to do it, but it really was pretty easy.  Thank God - I didn't want to be the one to wreck the new tractor!

WAY TO GO NOLAN!!! 1st Place in the Turkey Trot for his age group! 
And congrats to Jacob too - he got 3rd for his age group!

So we tried to do a little family photo shoot - thought this was a cute one of the kids!

Jackson was having a good time in the corn field.




My awesome siblings!
Nolan's turn.
Garret's turn.
Now Lisa gets a chance.
Do I look nervous?  Because I was!

Ride #52 for Tom and Jackson - just kidding.  But probably #9.
What a great cousin Garret is (and all of the boys)!
They are always looking out for Jackson and Morgan!

Friday night we headed to Red's Steakhouse in Vermillion to celebrate my Mom's 60th birthday.  We were all sad to not be with her on her actual birthday, but I think this made up for it.  Another great meal!  (I think I gained 10 pounds on this trip!)  And it was so nice to have a night out with the ones I love most. 
The Family!!
Garret and Morgan
Jeff, Mason, and Jacob
Mike and Mason

Morgan posing with Aunt Lisa
Dad and Jeff


Saturday we hung around the house again, playing cards and watching TV.  Tom made everyone pancakes for breakfast which the nephews devoured.  And that afternoon we celebrated Jackson's birthday... presents and brownies, ice cream, and hot fudge.  He was in heaven when he got a new tractor and trailer that was just like Grandpa's old one.   It was just a nice relaxing day. Sadly, I had to start packing up that night though...we were hitting the road Sunday morning. 
Garret feeding his face with pancakes.



Counting his candles.
Posing with Uncle Mike.
We had an amazing time.  We love these trips to see family - there is nothing better than seeing our kids hug their grandparents, play with their cousins, and get loved by everyone.  I am so blessed!  I love my family and our times together!

No comments: