A website full of pictures, videos, and news to keep family and friends updated on our family.
Sunday, March 29, 2015
For The Love Of Horses
Ah, what can I say? Our girl loves horses! This fascination with horses has been steadily growing for the last two years really. I'm really not sure what sparked the interest, but Morgan LOVES horses. She looks for horses everywhere... As we drive, she looks for the horse farms to see as many horses as she can. When we are in a store, she spots every single horse toy or horse related item possible. Last year she wanted a horse birthday cake. Her birthday and Christmas wish lists consist of "anything with horses." She has been asking for the last year and a half (or more maybe) to be able to ride horses. I honestly thought it would pass... but it didn't... and her requests became more frequent and persistent. So, I looked and we found! It was so fun to surprise her with lessons to ride. I'm so excited for her, yet a little nervous. I'm not sure if this will satisfy her desires and then the phase will pass... which would be great for the wallet, since horse riding is an expensive activity to be involved in. Or these first lessons may fire the passion flame even more and we may be set for a life of horse riding - lessons, competitions, owning.... yikes!! So fun!! I guess time will tell.
Anyway, yesterday Morgan took her first lesson at Highland Ridge Stables. Tom, Noah and I had checked it out weeks ago and we were so pleased. It was fun to surprise her on Friday, telling her that the next day she would be taking a lesson with Miss Sarah. She wasn't nervous - she was in HEAVEN! She did really awesome! Now she is asking when she can get her own horse! Well.... that's going to have to wait. There are actually a number of mares at the stable that are expecting foals... she asked Miss Sarah if she could have one of them when they are born. Umm... doesn't quite work that way, but so sweet of her! She just loves horses!
Morgan is starting her lessons with a horse named Denver. Denver is a 22 year old American Saddlebred horse. Highland Ridge Stables teaches English Saddle Seat Riding... which if you haven't seen a competition rider and horse doing this, check it out. It is really impressive! And the stables are located on Winsome Farm which was a former Pabst cattle farm. The buildings and property are really neat... so charming and historic. I think I may be getting swept away by this whole idea too... maybe I'll take a few lessons with Morgan!
She has eight lessons to start off with... we'll see how it goes... but after round one, she is well on her way!
The introduction
Ah, the look of awe and excitement!
Getting acquainted
Leading Denver to the arena to start the lesson
She's on!
Getting the stirrups adjusted
Learning to do two-point
Getting the feel of posting
Morgan's fan club!
Some more posting
Lesson 1 finished. Posing for the camera... great posture!
Time to take Denver back to the stables... need to brush him and feed him a treat.
Learning what's next... taking of the tack and putting it all away, then time to brush him.
Mmmm! Mints!! Denver's favorite treat! (He also likes carrots, so we'll bring those next time!)
Jackson got to give him a mint too!
And tomorrow Morgan has free choice for Show & Tell at school... Here is what she wants to share. I'm not surprised that this is what she picked!
A happy girl with a dream coming true! Love you Morgan!!
No comments:
Post a Comment