Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New Stages

Happy 2011 everyone!  With a new year, I've put my mind to getting more organized and focusing on the kids' development and learning again.  With the move, I just felt like life was a bit topsy-turvy for us.  But I'm finally feeling a little more settled into our new home and community, so I have no more excuses for not getting them out more and involved with other children their ages. Both Jackson and Morgan thrived when they were at daycare and I can tell how much they miss that time learning and interacting with they friends and teachers.  I'm going to take advantage of our Y membership and get them registered in some classes for the winter.  Hopefully they'll meet more children and learn some things I'm not teaching them... 'cause Lord knows, I'm not a teacher!

With the new year, we are also working towards the goal of no more diapers.  Yesterday (Tuesday) I set to the challenge hoping to get them going.  Jackson refused again to put on underpants in the morning - only diapers.  I swear that he only does this because he knows that I want him to do it.  He more than understands what he is supposed to do and have full control of his body that he is capable, but he just won't because he knows I want it.  This boy is going to be a challenge!  Morgan, on the other hand, more than willingly put on her big girl undies and set to the task.  She has been showing lots of interest, so I thought, "Lets do this thing as a team... Train them both together."  I put them on her and she pranced around so proud of them - and refused to put on any other clothes.  Then I asked her to use the potty and she went running into the bathroom so eager.  She sat there for maybe 5 seconds, said she was done and was adamant about getting down.  I said okay and off she went.  The rest of our day was spent with Morgan saying, "POTTY, Momma!" every 5 minutes.  We would run in, she would sit there for a couple seconds and then get up...never going potty.  She would do this for about 2 hours at a time and then all of a sudden we would have an accident.  She would even get on the potty, get down, and then she would decide to pee once off the potty.  So Morgan's record on day one was zero times in the potty and 4 times on the floor.  But she isn't discouraged and she is continuing to ask to go to the potty.  Each time I took Morgan to the bathroom, I would ask Jackson if he would want to try too.  Each time he responded with "NO!"  But around 4:00 he did decide to put on a pair of Thomas the Train underpants and give it a shot.  He was 2 for 1 between the times of 4:00 ant 8:00 - 2 times in the potty and one accident.  Not too bad!

And in case you were wondering, today hasn't been much better for either child on the potty.  Morgan peed on me right as our play group was leaving our house this morning.  And Jackson refused the underpants again this morning.  But I'm continuing to ask them if they want to go - I'm not giving up yet (even though part of me would like to!)  We'll keep trying!

Yesterday was also a milestone day because Morgan's crib was converted to a toddler bed.  She can now officially get in and out of bed like a big girl. She loves it!  I took off the front railing of the crib in the morning so we could try it out a nap time rather than her first time being at night.... thought it would be a little easier on her that way.  As soon as I had it ready, she climbed in and said ,"Lay by me, Jackson." in just the sweetest voice.  Jackson said, "Okay Morgan!"  and hopped right up.  They put their arms around each other and giggled!  It was so cute!   I loved it!  So she is getting into her bed great, she hasn't fallen out yet, and she won't get out of her bed until I come get her even though she knows how to get down (she does it all the time with Jackson's).  So my little baby girl, is not so much of a baby any more... kinda sad!  But I'm so proud of both my sweet kiddos!


Morning, just after converting the crib.

Getting ready for nap time.

Bedtime - reading books with Jackson.

No comments: