Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First Dentist Visit

Today was another first for the kids (and me)... the dentist! 

According to about every parenting site out there and most doctors too, you are supposed to have your child in to see a dentist by their first birthday.  Obviously, we are a little behind, but so it goes.  I went with a pediatric dentist that was recommended by our pediatrician.... and I have to say, I'm glad we went with a kid's dentist - they know how to work with kids!  Before going, they brief you on the phone on how to prep the kids for a dentist visit - explain it positively to your children and make it sound fun; tell them they will count their teeth, take pictures of their teeth, and clean them; don't use scary words like drills, needles, etc.  So no problem. I did all of that and the kids seemed ready to make their first visit. 

Last night, since it was Jackson's birthday, he didn't get to bed at a very decent time.  Plus this morning, he woke up earlier than usual (6:30).  I was a little worried that this was a bad sign.  But both kids woke up happy, ate great breakfasts, let me brush their teeth, and cooperated when it was time to head out the door for the 10:30 appointment.  I thought this is going to be a great day!  Then Jackson fell asleep in the car... I woke him from his peaceful slumber when the van door opened to 32 degrees and wind.  He was not happy - threw a fit and was refusing to go inside the dentist office.  There went all my positivity!  But I grabbed him and didn't give him any choice in the matter.  Morgan toddled behind us as we got to the door.  And a soon as he saw inside the door that their were toys and fun things (totally catering to kids), his "big fuss", as he calls it, was over.  Morgan and him played nicely while I completed paperwork.  Ten minutes later, the hygienist called their names and Jackson stood up and said, "Sure, lets go!"  All excited!  And of course Morgan always likes to do what Jackson does, so she followed right behind him.  They went into the "Space" room (they have many different themed rooms).  The hygienist had Jackson up in the seat right away, had him pick out a tooth brush and then started showing him everything that was going to happen.  He was quiet, but he answered all her questions and listened so well to her.  He was really intrigued by everything.  I was so proud of how well he did!  Shocked actually!  And Morgan patiently waited her turn too.  She watch Jackson closely and was also intrigued by the whole process.  When it was her turn, she hopped right up in the chair.  She too did super!  Listened really well and was eager to let the hygienist clean her teeth.  Can you believe that the hygienist even flossed their teeth too?  Can't believe they sat still for that!  The dentist - Dr. Rick - then came in and checked them out and said their teeth both look great.  Jackson has all 20 of his baby teeth.  Morgan only has 16 but he said the remaining four should be in by the time she is 2 1/2 (I think it is coming soon too... she is drooling and chewing on everything lately).  The dentist also said that Jackson's teeth were a little closer than he would like to see them be at three years old, but that we don't need to be that concerned about it at this point. 

So it was a wonderful visit!  I was shocked that they did so well!  Can you tell that I'm a proud momma?!  Here are a couple pictures from the visit.  They are a little blurry - I had to take them with my phone since I didn't have my camera with me. 




No comments: