I'm not sure if it the changing weather, the kids just getting older, or exposure to other kids at school and such, but Jackson and Morgan have a couple bad habits that tend to be a bit frustrating to Tom and me. They also have some really good habits that I want them to keep up the good work with. I have been looking for ways that we can reward them for their good deeds and to encourage them to do better on those that they have a hard time with. I don't really like the word rules or chores (they can have a negative feeling even if they aren't), so I read about how a mom implemented "contributions" and the positive impact it had on her children. The contributions are essentially rules and chores, but with a more positive spin on them. I thought it was worth a shot. We came up with a list of family rules - things that all of us (mom and dad included) need to follow. Also, we wrote down some of the daily tasks that need to be completed each day. Then Jackson and Morgan each got their own "Contribution" chart - how they contribute to our family. They are laminated and so each day we check our successes and then they can be wiped away at the beginning of each week. The goal (as of now) is for each of them to receive 40 checks in the week. If they are successful, they will receive a reward - a little toy, a lunch out with Mommy or Daddy, a couple dollars for their piggy bank - their choice (within reason). The goal is that they can take charge of their own little tasks and feel like they are contributing to the success of our family. Instilling some responsibility in our children is important. It is so easy for children to feel like they are entitled to things and I want them to know that through hard work, they can earn what they want and feel good about doing it too. So far, they are doing great... we've only been doing it for almost a week. But at the end of each day when we are ready for bed, they make it a point to get their marker from me and check their contributions for the day. Keep up the good work Jackson and Morgan!
No comments:
Post a Comment